Thursday, July 18, 2013

Auntie

I have always lived under false impression that I look young. Well, I might be looking young for 40-year-old woman, but I am not looking young.

When cycling two days ago I met in the middle of beautiful nature, on a small pedestrian bridge, a group of young people (in the middle of their 20s). They were having great fun taking photos.  I could see from the distance that they were happy to see another person that would be able to take photos of all of them together).

When I was passing by, one of them greeted me and asked: "Auntie, could you take the photos of us, please?"

I always take photos, whenever asked. Just not this time.

I responded: "Auntie does not take photos." And went away. 

Felt good about being unkind :)

3 comments:

  1. !!

    Auntie is not a term used in NZ in that way, but it is in Malaysia/China, and two of my SILs are Malaysian, so I'm familiar with being called Auntie! I'm sorry, but I had to laugh a little.

    Here in Rome I've been feeling very old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. today I can laugh too :)

      It is very impolite how the young man adressed me.
      In our language we have a polite form - as Italians do: "Signora".

      (but to be frank, I regret that the days when I was addressed as "Signorina" are over :)

      Delete
  2. Hehehe... At some point, I have become a "Ma'am". :)

    ReplyDelete