Saturday, April 2, 2016

Pathetic?

Not many families with kids visit my husband and me. Or to write it differently, we don't get many visitors at all.

Friends from Austria, who have a young daughter, visited us last week. I know that the girl was already bored a bit in the past (I don't blame her, it is boring to sit all evening with 4 adults. Also cartoons and colouring get boring after a while).

I got an idea that it would be fun to borrow a kid.
I asked my sister-in-law if I could have my niece (who loves me) for couple of hours. My wish was declined, as usually. It hurt for the first few years, now I am just used to it.
So I asked my cousin (who feels like my sister) if I could have her daughter for the evening. My cousin was thrilled for her child to be exposed to German and English for the whole evening. So I asked the little one (she is 6 and a half) if she would love to meet a new girl from Austria. She said yes (only later on I found out that she understood me that I was inviting her for a trip to Austria, that's why she needed 5 seconds to confirm :)

It was a lovely evening. It was nice to have two girls at our home.

The evening itself was lovely. But then, out of the blue, came the comment of my friend: "What do the people of that town do besides working, going to library and making babies?"

Such a silly choice of words. (Phrase Making babies brings back many sad memories, that include many needles, many suffering, many disappointment).

I didn't let this comment to spoil my good mood.

I know that to outside word this might seem pathetic, borrowing someone else's kid.
I don't care. I just know I really enjoy being cool and fun auntie to a lovely smart girl. Who was thrilled that she learnt some completely new German words. Like "Danke".

4 comments:

  1. I think that borrowing someone else's kid is awesome. It's funny, my mother's cousin was like an aunt&friend to me. We did a ton of things together, we even went to a Pink Floyd concert in London together when I was 15 (and she was... well, very old, probably 45 ;-) ). I never thought of her as pathetic, far from that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Lara, for your kind words.
    Yes, 45 is ancient old when you are 15 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were very considerate for planning a playmate so your young visitor also enjoyed the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're not pathetic at all! It was lovely of you to think of your friends' daughter and borrow a kid! I sort of did this years ago (I also don't have many children visit us), when I was looking after my 2 1/2 year old nieces. My friend's little boy, who was just a few months older, hosted them and played with them and was a complete gentleman. It's shocking to work out that they're now all 16!

    ReplyDelete