Friday, November 26, 2021

I don't have a life of my own?

I have already got the third dose of the vaccine against covid19. I am glad that I live in a country where the vaccine is available. 

I was upset that my granny (she is almost 90) was already 8 months after the second dose of the vaccine and nobody really bothered whether she gets the third vaccine or not. For me it was really important that she gets the vaccine (the hospitals are full so I strongly believe that each of us has to do everything to prevent putting an extra burden to the hospitals).

Long story short: I persuaded granny that she takes the vaccine and I am glad she got the vaccine yesterday. 

But what bugs me is what my uncle told my mom. He commented that I am sticking my nose into the things that are not my business just because I don't have life of my own. 

Come on? Really? I don't have a life of my own? Just because I am childless, I don't have life of my own?  

The other thing that bugs me is why mom had to tell me his comment? 

It is not only what my uncle said. It is actually what many people think (just don't say it loudly and directly).

His comment hurts.

But I refuse to believe his comment. 

I do have a life. 

It is not a typical life.

But it is mine.

It is the only life I will ever have.

I love it.

It is mine. 

It is quiet, peaceful and at the same time full of life. 

It is mine.

And I don't allow anybody to judge it.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Klara,

    You are such a thoughtful and caring person. Your uncle should be grateful to have you in the family! I am sure your granny feels loved and cared for by you.

    Yes, it is the only life we have indeed. It is ours. And I am glad you can say that you love yours <3.

    Other people's judgement says more about them than about us.

    Have a lovely first Advent Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right. Your last line is PERFECT!!! And to your mother and uncle, your grandmother's health IS your business, and I'm very glad you convinced her to get the booster shot. Your uncle sounds a bit jealous that he didn't think of it, maybe he felt silly that you needed to do this because he hadn't.

    His comment is stupid. And yes, I'm annoyed at your mother for telling you too. What did she say to your uncle? Did she defend you? Did you ask her?

    But the last part of your post is such a statement of independence, of wisdom, and of self-compassion. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elaine and dear Mali,
    thank you so much for your kind comment.

    I've always been my granny's favourite grandchild and I know she is glad that I took time for her health.

    Mali - I didn't ask my mom if she defended me. I guess not, because she was also hurt by her brother's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry your uncle said such a rude thing. People make careless, off-handed comments without even thinking. These comments can be so hurtful to others!

    Preventative health care for your grandmother IS your business, and you have a wonderful, enjoyable, and beautiful life!! Your uncle should be so lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rude comment your uncle made - of course you have a life of your own! I'm hoping in future generations people will be made to realize that it's not ok to presume this about people (especially for the reason they don't have children). Right now, I don't think people even realize what they are doing. And, good for you for seeing right through it and holding your own prescious ground! Plus, I echo what everyone else said - especially Elaine's first paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your uncle (and your mother) are lacking the compassion and kindness that you embody. I'm sorry you had to experience this. You are a wonderful woman living an immensely important life -- your loving, generous friendship is valued by many, including me.

    ReplyDelete