Thursday, November 29, 2018

Childless?

I am very glad that we moved to our new house now and not for example 10 years ago when I was in the darkest years of my infertility.  As years are passing by the pain of infertility still remains, but it is not raw any more. 

I can do now things I couldn't even imagine doing ten years ago. For example inviting friends, family and  colleagues to visit us in our new home together with their children.  

I have just counted all the children who visited us since we moved in:  total of 22 children. 10 boys and 12 girls, aged from 6 to 18 (most of the children are around 10). 

Writing this down it seems so obvious. When I started to accept the horrible truth that I might never have children of my own, the most children were born.  

It was hard then. But now I am happy that they are part of my life.

*** 

A friend of mine planned a holiday to beautiful Lake Garda but wasn't sure which road to take. So - when I spent two hours with her kids alone, doing homework, I used opportunity to talk to them in two languages: German and Italian. I gave them one of my old Italian maps and explained them which road is by my opinion really nice. With colourful paper I marked the highlights. Like - the delicious wafers factory in the heart of Dolomitis: https://www.loacker.com/int/en/
So when they did go on a road trip, the kids insisted that they drive the road I marked them. And of course they visited the wafers factory shop and loved it.  
My friends tell me that whenever they buy this wafers the kids remember who was the person who told them about it :)


***
There is one thing that I absolute love doing: teaching German my cousin's little daughter. Since we don't live close by, we manage to have only once or twice per month. It is priceless.... to watch a child without any knowledge to master first German words. She is so proud.... most of her school-friends learn only English and she learns also German!
It is so easy to learn foreign languages now, with the help of cartoons and songs.


***
I may be childless, but my life certainly isn't.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Klara,
    I deeply admire your ability to invite that many families with kids over to your house!
    It also reminds me of Justine Froelker who calls her life "childfull" despite not having children of her own. I think this might be a suitable description for this post as well.
    Wishing you a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have so many children in your life... and that you are able to enjoy them! I am willing to bet that you are their favourite teacher! ;)

    ReplyDelete