Monday, June 24, 2024

Priceless memories

 



I was having a discussion with a colleague about some new employees and their demands. The older colleague commented that at least she had a child so she understood the younger generation.

What kind of comment is it?

It implies directly that because I don't have a child of my own, I understand nothing?

*** 

I decided that her rude comment won't spoil my day.

So I thought of something nice.

I thought of my dear friend's daughter and her comment some time ago when she was 15.

For her 15th birthday, I wrapped up a small gift and sent it through my friend. The girl commented to her mother.

"I have been thinking about Klara lately. She is my only real aunt. She is the only aunt who ever babysat me and the only one who sometimes did homework with me and the only one who sends me a birthday card".

How sweet her comment was. The girl has two aunts but they have never done these things... as they have children of their own and are too busy.

I will keep the girl's comment in my heart forever. It reminds me of what is really important in life. Priceless moments.

***

On the photo: a beautiful photo from Slovenia's only national park. I love to walk there!


3 comments:

  1. Dear Klara, I am glad you decided that this silly comment would not ruin your day. Even more so because it is not even true. Many parents do not understand their own children, especially when they become teenagers!
    In fact, I do not think my parents understand me either ;-). I love what your friend's daughter said about you though <3. Much love from Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see a post from you, Klara! :) I'm glad you have a teenager in your life who appreciates you!

    The scenery in your photo is pretty -- but the ice cream looks pretty good too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, for goodness sake, I know plenty of people with children who don't understand their own kids let alone an entire generation! (I've had kids confide in me because their parents' "don't understand.") What a stupid comment, and I'm glad you turned aside from it and didn't let it spoil your day. (I've just seen that Elaine said exactly the same thing! lol Great minds think alike.) Also, ice-cream makes every day better! ;-)

    I love your friend's daughter, your honorary niece, said about you. Children don't get caught up in judgemental comments. They know who loves them, and who is there for them. That's really special!

    A funny thing. I just gave my niece (16) some birthday cash. She was thrilled, but then left it lying around. My sister pointed out that maybe she doesn't quite know what to do with it. She uses debit cards etc, never cash! I felt like a dinosaur. ;-)

    ReplyDelete