Saturday, January 17, 2015

Borrowed Kids

I was a babysitter of 3 out of my 4 nieces & nephews today. 

I took for a long walk two girls (aged 7 and 5) and a boy (aged 2 and a half).  

It was lovely having them. I wasn't bribing them with any sweet treats, all we did was going for a long walk. 

We also went to the library. At the library they know me, since I go there so often. The librarian (I don't really know her, I don't even know her name) saw me and said  in surprise: "So you have kids. They are beautiful."

I replied: "No, they are not mine. They are borrowed." 

The best part: I didn't feel bitter after this comment. I felt good after finding a good reply.

*** 

I still regret never being a mother. But also being a very cool auntie is pretty cool.

4 comments:

  1. The best part about borrowing someone else's kids is that you can return them when you're done spoiling them! I enjoy this part of being the "fun aunt" anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took 3 of my nieces to a movie over the Christmas break. A friend of my mom takes tickets and asked who I had with me. I told her they were my nieces. I like the phrase "borrowed". I may have to use it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 Being the fun auntie is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you are the coolest of cool aunties. And I love that you took them for a walk and the library, rather than bribing them with sweet treats.

    ReplyDelete