Saturday, February 4, 2023

Today's moments are tomorrow's memories

 


Highlight of any trip to Italy?  A cappuccino & brioche! 

I loved the quote in the cafe! 

***

I talked to an ex-coworker, a mother of two teenage girls. I love her but at the same time she was the most annoying of my coworkers - talking constantly about all the lovely time she has with other "mommy friends" - friends, she met through her daughters. 

Long story short - yesterday she was pretty desperate. Her daughters don't get along with the friends from their childhood so slowly also friendships with the mothers of those friends are drifting apart. My friend is desperate about this. 

I just listened.

But I didn't feel sorry. If only she knew how many times I was excluded just because I am childless and I don't belong. 

I looked back to my life and felt proud. There are many friendships I cherish and treasure. They were made because I am me and not because I am someone's mom. 

 


4 comments:

  1. Excellent point, Klara! It's nice to know our friends appreciate us for who we are, and not just because our kids hang out together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these pictures are perfect!

    I watched a close friend's mommy group grow and change and fall apart, eventually not being a friend group anymore. It was hard on all of them.

    But I really, really like your point. I never thought about that before. Everyone I am friends with is "because I am me and not because I am someone's mom." Wow. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, to making moments our memories. Especially good ones, like Italian coffee and pastries!

    And such a good point that our friends are our friends because they want to spend time with us. My BIL was making a similar point as your friend a few months ago, now that his daughters are grown and left home. I had no real sympathy, because some years ago I pointed out how hard it was for childless people to make friends, because people only got together with the parents of their kids' friends. And all he did then was shrug, and say, " that's life." I felt like saying, very sarcastically, "boo hoo!" But I didn't. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pictures from Italy and the title of this blog post :-)!
    Also, I am glad you have friends who are interested in you and only you!

    Sunny greetings from Switzerland <3

    ReplyDelete