Saturday, June 25, 2022

Happy 31st birthday, sLOVEnia!

Today my country celebrates 31st birthday. 

It seems like yesterday - when we declared independence and immediately after that the Yugoslav army attacked our country. Luckily the war in Slovenia lasted only 10 days. I will never forget watching the images of the bombing and tanks and crying so much, I was scared for my family (I wasn't at home during the war - I was an Au Pair in London that summer). I was just a scared teenager 31 years ago.

But the horrible war in neighbouring Croatia and Bosnia lasted 4 years.

Since the Russian attack on Ukraine I appreciate living in the free independent country even more. 

I wish from the bottom of my heart that the people of Ukraine will live in peace and freedom soon again.

***

A photo: cute ducklings at a beautiful Slovenian alpine lake, photo taken by me

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Slovenia! I can't imagine the terror of watching your home being invaded from afar. Thank goodness it was only 10 days! I was in Europe on my first ever trip there at the time, so I've always remembered when fighting broke out, and was so pleased that it didn't last long. Now that I know you, I'm so glad your beautiful country is free and independent. Long may that last.

    I feel so desperately sad for Ukrainians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your beautiful country!! Because of you, I have fallen in love with Slovenia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous and one of my favorite places in the world! Happy Birthday, sLOVEnia! So look forward to sharing in your beauty and rich heritage once again in the not too distance future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you would know about Ukraine more than many people! I hope you had a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Klara,

    I guess my comment got lost, so I am trying again: a very belated Happy Birthday to beautiful Slovenia! I feel privileged to have seen parts of it with my own eyes :-).

    Yes, we all hope for peace. I love your ducklings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Slovenia! Such a beautiful place that is now on my list of places to visit someday. Hooray for independence!

    ReplyDelete