Saturday, October 21, 2017

One of us

How I love reading! It takes me to countries that I have never visited and it takes me to times before I was born.

Have you heard of Alma Karlin?   Probably not, so I am attaching a short article about her:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma_Karlin

She was born in 1889 in a town that is less then one hour driving from mine. She was the first woman to (with a typewriter) travel the globe. The most fascinating fact is that she didn't have any money, she earnt money by teaching languages. 

I am now reading her book that was written in 1928, it is about her 8-year-travelling around the world that she started in 1919. The book was originally written in German language: Einsame Weltreise / it hasn't been translated to English as far as I know (Lonely/Alone Travelling around the World).

I just love her. Sometimes when reading her thoughts I think - those are my thoughts! And she was born almost 100 years before me. 

I love the quote from her book:
 “Alone and abandoned walks through life he who thinks only of himself; but he who knows how to lovingly adapt and turn everything for the better, who always knows where to offer a helping hand and gives himself to others, his life is a blossoming meadow, and traces of his work remain, even after he is gone.”

She was childless, just like me. And yet, she left something very powerful behind.

I loved reading the article about where I found out that a German painter Thea Schreiber Gamelin loved the book "Einsame Weltreise" so much that she decided to write to Alma. They started exchanging letters, after a while Thea visited Alma and they became good friends.

This made me smile. I love when someone who reads my blog (and likes me) sends me a letter (well, an email :)

This way going through life isn't lonely any more.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Klara, I didn't know about Alma Karlin. Thank you for writing about her. What an interesting and courageous life she led, especially for that time! I love reading about other childless women - it can be very inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great addition to the list of wonderful women without children. And a woman after our own travelling hearts too.

    It made me smile too - the fact they visited each other and became friends. 100 years later, we're all doing that too.

    ReplyDelete