Saturday, April 4, 2015

Perhaps they did have kids. Perhaps they didn't.

I had  a beautiful walk last weekend. I planned a fun afternoon and invited 4 kids for a walk. My sister-in-law hates the idea of sharing her two kids with me so I was not allowed to have them (just a note: the girls love me).  My cousin is happy to share her two kids, so I took for a walk only her two children.

It was lovely. We walked a lot. I made a small treasure hunt (cookies taste much better if they are earned). We visited a gallery. In the gallery we got a small flyer with old pictures. There was a newly wed couple, photo was taken aproximately 80 years ago.

Here is the conversation I had with almost six year old almost-niece.
Niece: "Klara, who are mamma and papa on the photo?"
Me: "Well, you should ask who a man and a woman on the photo are. Perhaps they never had kids."
Niece: "Yes, perhaps they didn't want to have kids."
Me: "Well, perhaps. But it is also possible that they really wanted to have kids, but they couldn't have them."

You should see the cute little face, trying to process all these info. I added. "Well, but most probably they did have kids. Most of the people do have kids."

And my almost-niece added: "Perhaps they did have kids. Perhaps they didn't."

I could have kissed her, the sweet little girl. For her, whatever path the couple had, it was OK.

2 comments:

  1. I read the NYT article this morning, too.

    It's interesting to me that in the innocence of childhood complex things can be understood. But at some point this is lost. Children often show greater compassion than adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little girl, accepting parents, non-parents, the childfree-by-choice and not-by-choice.

    ReplyDelete