Friday, April 16, 2021

A box of coloured pencils & love

There are some gifts that mean a world to me. This is a story about my beloved box of coloured pencils. 

It was 18 years ago when I just moved into a new flat with my husband. We went on a first shopping together in a big supermarket. While shopping for food I noticed a huge pile of boxes of coloured pencils, each box contained 24 coloured pencils. The brand was Jolly... it is an Austrian brand that has been hugely popular since my childhood.  When I was a child it was impossible to buy them in my country (=ex-Yugoslavia), so once my parents drove to Austria and smuggled them (together with coffee and all other stuff that was impossible to buy here). I got a box of 12 Jolly coloured pencils when I was 7 years old and I had those pencils for more than 10 years. 

I told this story to my husband. And I told him that all my childhood I wished to have a larger box that would contain 24 coloured pencils, not only 12. But I never got them since they were to expensive.  

My husband took one Jolly box and put it into the shopping charts. I asked him what was he doing. He told me that he wanted to buy me the large box of coloured pencils that I wished my whole childhood. 

I was deeply touched. I told him that I didn't need the coloured pencils. And he replied that it didn't matter, that he wanted to buy them anyway. 

I think this is the gift that means the most to me. 

And it wasn't true that I didn't need the big box of coloured pencils. I needed them, I just didn't know I needed them :)

6 comments:

  1. I love this story. I love this gift! "I needed them, I just didn't know I needed them." This makes sense to me. <3

    Have you heard of prismacolors? Just curious. They are a brand of colored pencils that I love. They are rich in color and they blend really, really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have never heard of prismacolors. I don't think that they are available here.
      Which ones do you like:
      https://www.prismacolor.com/colored-pencils?custompid=PCPremierSoftCoreColoredPencils

      Delete
    2. Oh! I didn't realize there were options. I think it's the Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils that I am used to, although the Woodless Art Stix look interesting. I tried out the Watercolor Colored Pencils but didn't really like them.

      Delete
  2. Dear Klara,
    this is just the most beautiful story and the most precious gift <3. I am glad that your husband bought you these coloured pencils.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely story, starting from smuggling colouring pencils! (Though I'm sure the coffee was more important to your parents. lol) I'm so glad M bought them for you.

    And your last line is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! I'm so glad you got them! I've always loved coloured pencils too... the brand here that I remember from my school days was/is Laurentian. And I have a couple of boxes of Crayola crayons that I bought when our nephews were little... they always loved to draw & colour wherever they came to our house. A lot of them are broken now, but they're still usable, and I'm looking forward to bringing them out again if/when Little Great-Nephew comes to visit too!

    ReplyDelete