Monday, May 25, 2015

How lovely. Now also you have children.

I was a baby sitter on Sunday morning for almost two hours. I took for a walk my cousin's  3-year-old son. It was lovely. I took him to a beautiful bridge that he had never seen before.  

When walking across town center, I met my schoolfriend from Italian classes. We visited the same classes for few years, almost a decade ago. I hadn't met her for some years. 

When we met (she was with her husband and three kids) she said: "How lovely. Now also you have children." 
(btw: it is just silly to assume that if a woman is walking with ONE child, that there are some additional children somewhere else).

I wasn't surprised. I wasn't hurt. I just said: "No, I don't have children. Sometimes I just borrow one or two." 

She looked puzzled. So I just explained who the beautiful little boy was and nothing else.

It is really none of her business, finding  about my blocked tubes / lousy ovaries / broken uterus / broken-but-now-healed heart. 


*** 

I guess I really came to the point in my life where I cherish the things that I do have in my life. 
Regreting the things that I don't really doesn't make sense.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to get to a peaceful enough spot that you can respond that way and not have it send you to a quite corner, to cry. At least, that's how I feel these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your response, Klara. Even more I am glad that the question didn't hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhh what a powerful statement at the end: "Regretting the things I don't really doesn't make sense." Love it!

    ReplyDelete