Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Who is next?

A coworker of mine had a good-bye party since she is leaving for one year (she is having a baby at the end of May). 

I was happy for her. I really was. She never said or did anything that would hurt me.

But what I hated is the small talk at parties. The question that different people asked (as part of a joke / part of something that is usually asked at good-bye parties like that):

So, who is next???

How I hate this question. I am not the next. I will never be the next.

I excused myself from a party as soon as I could. I went to my desk to pretend to work (I couldn't really work since the office was overcrowded) and listened to Rolling Stones. 

1 comment:

  1. I know. These questions don't hurt me now (ten years later), but I hate the assumption that it will be easy for whoever will be next, or that there is an expectation and pressure on whoever they decide "who will be next."

    ReplyDelete