Wednesday, July 13, 2016

We get to determine our own “happily ever after” for ourselves

A dear pen-friend of mine made my day by sending me an article written by Jennifer Aniston.  Here is the part I loved the most:

"Here’s where I come out on this topic: we are complete with or without a mate, with or without a child. We get to decide for ourselves what is beautiful when it comes to our bodies. That decision is ours and ours alone. Let’s make that decision for ourselves and for the young women in this world who look to us as examples. Let’s make that decision consciously, outside of the tabloid noise. We don’t need to be married or mothers to be complete. We get to determine our own “happily ever after” for ourselves."

Full article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/for-the-record_us_57855586e4b03fc3ee4e626f 

6 comments:

  1. It's such good article, isn't it? I shared it on Fb too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a good article. Though, something in this article has been bothering me all day. This sentence: "Yes, I may become a mother some day..."

    Jennifer is 47! I am few years younger and yet, I would never write this sentence. I truly think that it just isn't wise to get pregnant after a certain age.
    (if she is thinking about adoption, then this is another thing).

    I will use my dear pen-friend's words since I could not write it more beautifuly: "I wish she went the extra step to point out that 47 year olds, with or without medical assistance, rarely become pregnant or carry a baby safely to term, no matter how youthful they might look."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Klara, for the link! I like the article although your pen-friend is right, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally LOVED this...spent an afternoon writing a blog post about it 😄

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this piece! I really hope people truly listen to her words and take them to heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it was a very strong and uplifting article. I find it difficult when the dreaded questions come so I do feel for her, having to put up with the continuous speculation about her marital/child status on a daily basis.
    I did wonder about that sentence also, and hoped she might have been talking about fostering/adoption.

    ReplyDelete