Monday, May 16, 2016

The Reader

The Reader 


Having time to read: this is for me one of the biggest silver linings of my childlessness. 

I have just finished reading Bernhard Schlink's The Reader (I read it already a decade ago, I also watched the movie). It is brilliant. 

Don't ask me why I tend to choose novels about Holocaust lately. I don't know. Perhaps on some subconscious level I want to be reminded how dark world is and how easily it is to manipulate crowds to do evil things. When you see world as such, perhaps it is a blessing not having a child.
(and no, evil things aren't something from deep past. My uncle was kidnapped, tortured for two months and then murdered in the war in Bosnia. Only because he was muslim and because he was defending his village. It was heartbreaking to see my granny, she lived another ten years after loosing her youngest son, crying each single day for the last ten years of her life).


6 comments:

  1. Yes, history repeats itself, sadly.

    Oh Klara, how devastating. I’m so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. I can't remember who to attribute the quote to, but it is true. I also enjoy reading about historical events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, Der Vorleser is absolutely brilliant. I read it almost 30 years ago in school in German, and re-read it at least twice. Everybody should read that book.

    I had no idea about your uncle, sorry about that. And yes, evil things are definitely very present...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. :-( I used to live in a country where there was the kind of manipulation that you mentioned here. I certainly hope that it'll never happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to be reminded that atrocities and racism affect individuals just like us.

    I read The Reader and loved it - and the movie too. I've just recently watched The Book Thief too, and have read two WWII books in the last month or so. Sometimes I'm in the mood to read about atrocities, sometimes I find it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read The Reader too (although I have yet to see the movie), and I too am drawn to books about World War 2 & the Holocaust -- I read Anne Frank's diary when I was about 11 & it has always stayed with me. I agree with BnB that those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it (which is why it's so scary to see Donald Trump's rise to power in the U.S....!).

    I am sorry to hear about what happened to your uncle. I think those of you living in Europe, and particularly in the east, are much closer to history and its lessons in a way that we in North America cannot truly understand.

    ReplyDelete