Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Search for Happiness

Hector and the Search for Happiness 


I have just finished reading this little book. I just loved it, except he last page of the book.

Here is a description of the book: Hector and the Search for Happiness

This idea is so close to me, pack somethings and just go travelling. You can learn so much, when leave your every day life.

I love the list of happiness statements that Hector did:
I love lesson number 1 the most. So very true!

And I have just noticed that also the movie have been made two years ago. I watched trailer, it looks like a nice movie.

****

But I didn't like the last few sentences of the book:

"... and he loved Clara more, too. An as a result, Clara became less interested in her meetings and stopped bringing work home at the weekends and began looking at babies when she saw them with their mothers in the street. And Hector noticed this and thought that one day he and Clara might get married, live happily and have many children."


I know that this is how majority of people imagine a happy life. Get married, have children, live happily ever after.

What about childless people like me?

I didn't let the ending of the book to spoil my evening. After all, it is not an author's fault that I am infertile.

It is my own job, to find my own version of living happily ever after (despite not having children).



2 comments:

  1. I liked the list - mostly - though the Sun and Sea don't make everyone happy.

    But the last few sentences of the book that you quoted are terrible! As a feminist, I really hate that his love meant that Clara became less interesting in her career, and began thinking about babies - as if the two have to be mutually exclusive. I doubly hate that he thinks that this is acceptable. The man's a sexist, and on that basis, I'm not reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What *I* noticed (beyond the sexism, as Mali says above) is that Hector" thought that one day he and Clara might get married, live happily and have many children." Thinking something might happen is quite different from what actually DOES happen, as you & I have both found out...!

    ReplyDelete