Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train


"It didn't happen. No doctor has been able to explain to me why I can't get pregnant. I'm young enough, fit enough, I wasn't drinking heavily when we were trying..... We did one round of IVF, which was all we could afford. It was, as everyone had warned us it would be, unpleasant and unsuccessful. Nobody warned me it would break us. But it did. Or rather, it broke me, and then I broke us."

"The thing about being barren is that you're not allowed to get away from it. Not when you're in your thirties. My friends were having children, friends of friends were having children, pregnancy and birth and first birthday parties were everywhere. I was asked about it, all the time. My mother, our friends, colleagues at work. When was it going to be my turn?" 


I had a nice weekend. I spent it working abroad & having lots of time for reading. What else can you do in the evening in a large city you don't know and is occupied by immigrants? I went for an evening walk once, but did not feel safe, so I returned to hotel, back to reading.

I loved the novel. The quotes above describe Rachel, main character of the novel. Childless not by choice. It makes me wonder if the author of the book went through infertility? Or does she have a friend who went through it?

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I think that the author really captured infertility and even if she didn't go through it herself, she seems to have an understanding that few who haven't walked this road have.

    Glad you had a nice weekend overall!

    ReplyDelete