Saturday, September 5, 2015

Don't move


Don't Move
I was reading an interview with a famous Italian writer Margaret Mazzantini. I really liked her. And hated at the same time. Why? She is a mother of four children and yet in one of her novels she writes about infertility. That made me angry - no mother of four can write about infertility. So I wanted to read that particular book, but it is still not available in our library. So I took another one, "Don't Move".

Here is a plot:
Timoteo: high-flying career as a surgeon, beautiful wife, luxurious apartment, villa by the sea - he seems the epitome of success and glamour. But then his daughter has an accident and is rushed to the hospital in a coma. A colleague operates on her, and while the agonised Timoteo awaits the outcome, he holds the reader in the vice-like grip of his confession. For, beneath the veneer of his apparently charmed life, there is a story of squalor, degradation, deceit and strange passion. The story of a doomed love affair with a woman who, from the moment Timoteo meets her, undermines everything he thought he knew about himself.

I just loved the novel, it is brilliant. I could not stop reading it. I woke up today at 5:30 just because I wanted to finish it. I wish I could write as Margaret Mazzantini, I love her style of writing.

***
This is one of the silver linings of infertility.
Having time to read on grey rainy Saturday morning. My husband left for work. And I have a whole day just for myself. First task: to go to the library and find a new good book to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment