Tuesday, August 4, 2015

And still no kids, all these years later?


I have a new passion: reading Rowling's new books. I have already read The Cuckoo's Calling and now I am reading The Silkworm. I just love Cormoran Strike and his assistant.

I love Rowling's way of writing. A quote from  The Silkworm:

"And still no kids, all these years later?" asked Greg, smug father of three sons.
There was the tiniest pause. Strike knew that Nick and Ilsa had been trying for a child, without success, for several years.
"Not yet", said Nick. 


 The only time that infertility is mentioned is here.  I love the dialogue. 

How well do I know the tiniest pauses. And pauses that are not that tiny.

8 comments:

  1. I think I need to read this (and Cuckoo's Calling)! They look right up my alley. I haven't read a JK Rowling book since Casual Vacancy, which I didn't like at all. I did love the Harry Potter books though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also didn't like Casual Vacancy. And I also loved Harry Potter books .

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of her adult books, but this single conversation makes me think I want to now! It's really nicely done, isn't it? I wonder though, how many people who have never struggled with infertility would not understand that "tiniest pause."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an 85 year old woman in my neighborhood and her and her husband have never been able to have children. When people ask her how many children she has she answers with a smile and anticipation in her voice, "None yet." She loves their look of confusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dear Katie, this is awesome. I will start using this answer when 60+!!

      Delete
  4. This quote from the book brought me back to the past, when I was frustrated with myself as my answer "not yet" just came out automatically (mostly because I think that was what people were looking for and it'd be easier to say that instead of saying "no" considering the fact that I was/am not menopausal yet), so I had to rehearse saying "no" a few times in my head ha ha...and I was so pleased with myself when the next time around someone asked the question, I managed to say "no".

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Cuckoo's Calling" is in my to-read pile. :) Glad to hear you like these books!

    ReplyDelete