Thursday, February 19, 2015

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul



INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

written by: William Ernest Henley, 1875



********************************

One of my favourite movies all times is Invictus. 
I admire Mandela. 

This poem was writen almost 100 years before I was born and still the poem is very close to my heart. 
I printed out the poem and put it on the wall. 
To help me remember, when the dark days of infertility will come again, that I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.







3 comments:

  1. I just wrote a comment, hit publish, and it disappeared. Argh!

    Klara, this is a beautiful poem, and I'm so glad it brings you strength. I've stood in that room, and walked those quarries on Robben Island, and you can't do that and not be moved. You would love South Africa!

    As much as the movie pains me (because at the end of course it celebrates their win over the New Zealand All Blacks - my team! - and I remember it well ... including some other controversy over the match), it was beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful poem! South Africa is on my bucket list of places to visit, largely because of the history surrounding Mandela.

    Mali, hubs and I love rugby! Since rugby hasn't quite caught on in the US and our team is pretty bad, the All Blacks are our adopted team. I even bought a sweatshirt. :)

    ReplyDelete