Saturday, February 7, 2015

Even when 47?

Spoiler alert: if you are planning to read The girl who saved the king of Sweden, stop reading this post here.

***

I just finished reading the novel. I liked the first 412 pages.
But then on the page 413 are those lines:


If God does exist, he must have a good sense of humour.
N. had longed to have a baby with H. for twenty years; she had given up hope five years earlier, and she had made it to forty-seven years of age when she realized in July 2008 that she really was pregnant.


How I hate those lines. Not that I wouldn't be happy for the main characters in the book to get their dream. But I hate the fact that there will be over million people worldwide reading this book. Which means million of people will be under impression that at the end EVERYBODY gets pregnant.   Even when 47.



4 comments:

  1. Grrrr. Really? 47? I would think that even in a healthy woman, the statistical probability of getting pregnant at 47 is roughly the same as getting struck by lightening though.

    Am I the only one who thinks it would be more of a nightmare to get pregnant at 47 than a dream come true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, BNB, I completely agree. My great-grandmother had her last child in 1923 (my great-aunt, my grandmother's sister) when she was 47, six years after her previous child. She was the oldest woman ever to give birth at the local small-town hospital, & probably still is (I don't even think they handle births there any more; they send them to the hospital in a larger town down the road). My great-aunt used to hate it when people mentioned that, she said when she was growing up, that was the one & only thing people remembered about her, that her mother had her when she was 47. ;)

    When I was going through infertility, I used to joke that maybe I was just waiting until I was 47 for Great-Grandma's genes to kick in. But the further past 40 & the closer to 47 I got, the more I knew I did NOT want that to happen. I know some women still want to get pg in their 40s & even 50s (there was an article in today's local paper about a 56-year-old woman here who just gave birth -- albeit with three rounds of IVF, donor eggs & sperm. Her RE was an old childhood friend so he took a special interest in her case). Not me, not at this point in my life. I did want to be a mother very much at one point, but that ship has definitely sailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's obvious that a man wrote this book! Grrr. You're right though, Klara. I hate to think that this is another example that misleads women (and men and mothers-in-law etc) into thinking that getting pregnant in your 40s is a breeze. How unlikely it is, especially if she had already faced infertility.

    Though yes, I have to say when I was 47, I actively did NOT want to be pregnant.

    ReplyDelete