Thursday, December 4, 2014

A wondeful movie (Philomena)


I watched the movie Philomena yesterday with DH. We both loved it, it is the best movie we watched this year. 

http://philomenamovie.com/

We started to watch it very late, we said we will watch only a bit and the rest the following day. But it was so good we just could not stop watching it.

A friend of mine invited me to the movie to watch Philomena a year ago. I checked the plot and saw that it was about an old woman searching for a son whom she gave for an adoption 50 years ago. I declined the invitation, I was probably having a bad infertility week and did not want to see a story about any mother. 

But I got the plot wrong. 

She did not gave her son for an adoption. He was stolen from her.  Yes, she did sign up a paper that she is giving him up. But she was a teenager when signing and she did not really know what she was signing. 

It is a beautiful and sad story that touches your soul really deeply. 

I couldn't fall to sleep for a while yesterday. I was laying in the bed thinking about adoptions.

Since there literally are not any children available in our country (=foster care system is preferred, in many cases children stay in foster care families up to 18 years), couples who want to adopt, have to adopt internationally.

If you adopt a child in a less developed country or in one of the most corrupted countries, how can you be REALLY sure that a child that you are taking from an orphanage is really an orphan? Or, that his/her mother gave her child away free willingly?

It would break my heart if I found out later, that the only reason I have a child is because to a poor woman was done the most horrible injustice. 


3 comments:

  1. I saw "Philomena" earlier this year & loved it. What an amazing story, and Judi Dench & Steve Coogan were both just wonderful in it.

    I wrote about it on my blog here:

    http://theroadlesstravelledlb.blogspot.ca/2014/02/philomena.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the movie, but where I live has a long and sad history of doing just that. As a result, the current generation of social workers and government people have a very strong anti-adoption reaction. Adopting from certain countries is forbidden (you can't bring the baby back in). It's a very difficult situation, to balance the desire to have a family against the idea that the mother didn't realise she was giving the baby up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the same as here, too. Adopters must adopt internationally, but it never crossed my mind about the kind of practice like this. How horrible! I'm going to put Philomena on my wishlist. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete