Saturday, October 4, 2014

Quiet


Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

I am reading Susan Cain's book Quiet. For a non-native it is quite difficult book to read, but it is worth to make an effort. I learned a lot about me.

Here is description of me:
"Introverts, in contrast, may have strong social skills and enjoy parties and business meetings, but after a while wish they were home in their pajamas. They prefer to devote their social energies to close friends, colleagues, and family. They listen more than they talk, think before they speak, and often feel as if they express themselves better in writing than in conversation. They tend to dislike conflict. Many have a horror of small talk, but enjoy deep discussions."

Before reading this book I thought that being childless is harder for introverts. But I guess it is not. Since I have always had a horror of small talk, this is not really something new. It just sucks a bit more - since a lot of small talk between colleagues / new people / etc is connected with kids. 

On the other hand - extroverts are brilliant at small talk. So it must be harder for them - suddenly, with infertility, they can not master small talks that easily as before.

But, it doesn't really matter. Infertility sucks for all of us. I guess it is time to turn off the computer, and go on my bike, for a short and beautiful autumn cycling.




1 comment:

  1. I read "Quiet" a while back & thought it was brilliant. :) I reviewed it here:

    http://theroadlesstravelledlb.blogspot.ca/2012/09/summer-reading.html

    ReplyDelete