Friday, August 15, 2014

It's like a bruise

Theatre executive Jessica Hepburn is 43 and has been trying to have a baby for nine years with her partner, Peter. "It's like a bruise," says Jessica about the emotional impact of failing to have a biological child, "whenever you press it, it hurts. I often wonder what our kids would have looked like - Peter's hair, my eyes? I always imagined motherhood would be part of my life. Creating a child with the person you love - it's a very natural, strong desire for me."

To read the full article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28785054

I loved it.





1 comment:

  1. I feel so sorry for Jessica. I also feel bad that the author mentioned that Jessica didn't like the pity of others and then she posted a pity-evoking picture of Jessica... My heart was hurting when I was reading her story :(

    It's interesting that this article touches shame in relation to infertility. I think it's probably the first time I have seen shame mentioned in this context within the mass media infertility talks. Coincidentally, I'm reading a book by Brene Brown who specializes in the issue of women and shame, 'I though it was just me (but it isn't)'. Pretty interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete