Sunday, October 27, 2013

IVF: 'Where's all that grief going?'

There may be five million IVF success stories, but for many millions more women, the treatments have failed. So why do we never hear from them?

***

I loved this article from the Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/27/ivf-where-all-grief-going



Especially this part is really interesting:

"It's always this superhero patient who wins the jackpot. But if we look at the data from Europe, 77% of treatments fail. The Centre for Disease Control has it at 70% failure. But you never hear from the people who failed, which makes you think there's something wrong with you. The reality is that the science is fragile. It is amazing that five million babies have been born because of IVF but there must be at least 10-to-15 million couples whose treatments have failed."


For some years I really felt that I am such a looser. That IVF works out for everybody else except me. But me and my DH are only one couple in the crowd of 10-to-15 million couples whose treatments have failed. It seems selfish, I know. But it is comforting that we are not alone...

Hugs!


2 comments:

  1. This story is a great service to our society. I applaud the British for being among the first to acknowledge how devastating unsuccessful treatments are. I was also pleased to see that the BBC included an interview with the chair of the HFEA. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24676749

    She makes is clear that couples are not well cared for emotionally:
    "Couples considering IVF, she warns, must be made aware of the heartache of unsuccessful treatment. The world of IVF is a market, a market in hope. Those who enter it deserve to be fully informed of its potential to deliver grief and a sense of failure, as well as success."

    I wish the U.S. industry would follow her lead. You can read more on my latest blog post: http://blog.silentsorority.com/#TCcOCsF6SK1Xq53A.99

    p.s. You are not alone in how you felt coming out of the treatments. I felt the very same way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Klara! Thanks for sharing this link. I posted a similar one a while back and talked about the same thing. It is good to see more articles on this issue.

    ReplyDelete