Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bad genes

My beloved Wolf has excellent pedigree. His grandmother was even world championship, from Germany. The sad part of excellent pedigrees is that they always take the most beautiful dogs for reproduction (not the healthiest ones).

Wolf's kidneys are doing a bit better (values are now on the border between moderate and severe kidneys failure). But he got an infection and should be treated with antibiotics. But he can not take antibiotics because of kidneys.  It is sad to watch my beloved dog. He won't make it. He might live for another month, perhaps longer. But we are sure that he doesn't have much chance to fully recover.

He just has bad luck - to get bad combination of the genes.

***

I just read Pamela's blog: http://blog.silentsorority.com/what-i-wish-id-known-then/#comment-2657 
(congratulations Pamela for the 6th anniversary!).
I haven't read it from the beginning (at that time I didn't even want to know that there is even a possibility that after many IVF treatments anybody is left without a baby).
So I checked my calendar from the year 2007 so I have seen that on the 2nd and 3rd of February 2007 I was with my DH in Oviedo, visiting my friend Maria and her husband.
http://thenext15000days.blogspot.com/2012/04/maria.html

Maria also wasn't lucky with her genes, she was born with heart disease written in her genes (she just didn't know that, since the first symptom was when she had heart attack and died few minutes later).

***
I can only hope & pray that there are plenty of healthy years in front of me & my DH.

Regarding the Wolf - we continue to do what we were doing for the last two weeks. To take each day as it comes. Not to think to much in advance. The Wolf has seen the vet for 8 times in the last two weeks. But, as long as we can see joy in his eyes and see that he is not in pain, we just can't say goodbye to him. 

10 comments:

  1. Maria was lovely!

    Thinking about you and Wolf.
    A lot of hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep strong Wolf...I'll go give my pups a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good genes, bad genes. You're right, it is all luck. I have a niece who has cystic fibrosis, which probably means she has a severely shortened life span. Genes. Yet she also has the most beautiful red hair. Genes again. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs, hugs, and much love to your Wolf- he know he's much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and Wolf during this difficult time. Hoping for more good days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HUGE HUGS!!! Spending quality time with Wolf is essential indeed. It must be really tough, though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart aches for you. I hope that these days last longer than expected, and that you find much happiness to hang on to for later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria and Wolf are treasured reminders of the importance of the beautiful bonds we form, the impact on our lives is immense. We love fiercely and receive that love in return. I will hug those I love more tightly today. I will start with you and Wolf (whom I'm so glad I got to meet!). Sending big hugs to you and the Wolf and your DH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for your kind words. I can not imagine my world without you!

    ReplyDelete