Friday, November 23, 2012

Books & finding a new old friend




I took a day off work yesterday and I went to our capital where there is a beautiful exhibition of books. So many books! I bought one book (about growing vegetables and herbs) and got lots of ideas which books to get at our library. Or which to order online, in English.

While walking around I met a colleague C from university. I haven't seen her for the last 10 years. When I finished university, there were no mobile phones, no email addresses to exchange... so I lost contact with the most of colleagues.

We were happy to see each other. We were chatting for about 5 minutes when C invited me for a cup of coffee. And I froze. Because I always fear of the torture part (involving the question: "So - do you have any kids?" )

C was in is a beautiful woman, full of life. I was sure she had at least three children.

The feared question never appeared.

I was explaining that I always check also for good children books for my nieces and nephew. I added that I do not have children of my own, so I have to spoil others.

And C responded: "I do not have kids either. I wanted to have them, but it did not work out."

Can you imagine? So many of us out there!

Our coffee break was long, we had so many stories to tell to each other!

I got a nice compliment from her. When I was telling her our infertility path, she added: "I can tell that you are already OK with it because you look happy."

I realized at that moment that I probably really am OK (well, at least most of the time). And I explained if I was telling her about my childfree/ childless life few years ago, I would just start crying and I wouldn't be able to stop. 

We agreed to meet again in December, for another, even longer coffee. I am looking forward to it!

1 comment: